As Labor Day approaches, we must begin to accept the sad realization that summer is coming to an end! So with Labor Day weekend marking the last big holiday of the summer, gather your family and friends together to celebrate one final hurrah before the warm weather ends. Since it is important to take advantage of the last bit of summer weather, think about throwing a cookout. To truly embrace Labor Day, indulge in the classic American cookout and use the color scheme red, white, and blue as a guideline for your party decorations. From the invitations down to the napkins, plan the perfect American-themed Labor Day party using these tips and ideas.
Labor Day Food
- Fruit Salad – As a cookout staple, this recipe gives your ordinary fruit salad a delicious twist. Bring orange juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, and orange and lemon zest to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat, stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and let it cool. Combine your favorite fruit into a bowl, pour mixture on top and refrigerate for 3-4 hours. You will not be sorry you tried something new. [Credit: All Recipes]
- Grilled Chipotle Chorizo Chicken Sausage & Shrimp Kabobs – al fresco perfectly combines land and sea with this delicious recipe, conveniently prepared on skewers, making it easy for serving outside.
- Patriotic Pies in a Jar – As a classic Labor Day food, this cute patriotic recipe will surprise each of your guests with their very own individual pie in a Mason jar.
Labor Day Decorations
- Table – Incorporate the red, white and blue colors into all of your decorations. Think about using red and white flowers in a vase for the centerpiece and stars and stripes on your tablecloth.
- Streamers – Hanging red, white, and blue streamers around your backyard will give guests that sense of patriotism. Lantern lights are always a fan favorite.
- Flags – A Labor Day party would be nothing without the American Flag. Small stick flags are essential and versatile accessories that can be stuck around the yard or in the centerpiece with the flowers.
Labor Day Activities
- Volleyball – Set up a net and divide your party up into two teams. If you are a hosting a big party, make the activity a round robin event and keep score!
- Good Old Fashion Fun – Have games like limbo or hula-hoop that will be fun for all ages. Even plan a few silly and fun prizes for the winners.
- Art & Crafts – Set up a table for the kids where they can decorate plates or color. Think about printing out blank flags or patriotic scenes for the kids to use as a guide.
There is no excuse for skipping out on hosting a Labor Day festivity. It’s your patriotic duty to help celebrate the closing of summer! With these tips and ideas, you will have no trouble pulling together a last minute party to commemorate America and the end of the summer. If you want to break free from the typical red, white, and blue themed Labor Day party, try an all-white themed party. There are so many ways to be creative when planning and hosting a party, so surprise your friends and family with an unforgettable celebration. If you are looking for more recipes and products to feature at your end of summer bash, check out our recipe page and products page.