Summer is in full swing, and that means one thing - summer parties! Whether it is a birthday, holiday, or it is just an excuse to sit poolside with delicious food and good friends, you’ll need to make sure you’re ready to host the best summer BBQ possible. Chances are you will have your delicious food outside with you, and while that is convenient, everyone knows that the great outdoors and food don’t always agree with each other. Food preservation isn’t easy when there are issues like sweating and keeping bugs away, so here are a few tips for keeping picnic style food fresh at your next summer party.
How to keep picnic food cold:
- Coolers: Pack all perishable food on ice in a cooler for transportation and or prior to cooking. Place a cooler next to the grill to keep meat fresh prior to cooking.
- Layer your serve-ware: Use a 2 bowl/tray method when putting chilled food out for guests. Use one big bowl/tray to contain ice, and then place the food in a smaller bowl/tray and place on top of the ice. Be sure to restock the ice every 1-2 hours.
- Take Advantage of Frozen Food: Use frozen fruit to keep punch and other fun summer drinks cold.
How to keep bugs out of outdoor food:
- Food Covers: Use a dome shaped food cover to keep pesky bugs out of your fresh food.
- Citrus Peels: Lining a table with lemon, grapefruit, or orange peels can have the same affect as a citronella candle. Be sure there isn’t any fruit left on the peels you use.
- Fans: Place small fans on the food table. The draft can help keeps bugs at a distance and can help keep food cool.
- Fresh Mint: Place fresh mint or mint essential oils on the food table; this is a great all natural way to keep flies at bay.
Now that you know how to keep food cold and bug free you are ready to have a great summer party. Invite your friends and family; get the pool floaties and sunscreen ready, and enjoy all summer has to offer. If you need some help figuring out what to cook for your party, check out our recipes page
to find the perfect healthy dish to wow your guests!