With the Tour de France right around the corner, it is essential that you understand what all the hype is about. You’re probably wondering why bicyclists put themselves through 3,360 kilometers of pedaling through flat lands, hills, and mountains. That’s because cycling on a regular basis improves your overall well-being (surprise, surprise!) From staying fit to increasing your lifespan, the health benefits of cycling are so noteworthy that you would be crazy not to try it out.
Cycling Health Benefits:
- Increases Lifespan – Lowers your risk of cardiovascular disease, type two diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure and obesity
- Improves Mental Health – Helps to regulate your emotions and breathing, which relieves anxiety and depression
- Increases Immune System – Moderate exercise makes immune cells more active and ready to fight off infection
- Low-impact – Allows for people with joint conditions or injuries to exercise their body
But why is cycling making headlines everywhere if all forms of fitness have similar health benefits? For one, it’s one of the most convenient forms of exercise out there. Once you’ve got a bike, all you have to do is leave your house. Skip the hassle of driving to the gym and invest in a bike and then check out these New England trails!
Here are a few popular bike trails around New England:
- Cape Cod Rail Trail (25 miles) – South Dennis to Wellfleet, MA
- Nashua River Rail Trail (11 miles) – Ayer to Nashua, NH
- Norwottuck Rail Trail (11 miles) – Northampton, MA
- East Bay Bicycle Path (14.5 miles) – Providence to Bristol, RI
- Island Line Trail (14 miles) – Burlington, VT
If you enjoy working out in a gym, then give indoor cycling a try!
Now that you’re sold on cycling as your new fitness regimen, make sure you fuel up on a healthy meal to optimize your workout. We wouldn’t want all those health benefits going to waste on a fast food triple cheeseburger. For healthy recipes, check out our recipe page and learn how to prep properly with pre-workout meals